Total Pageviews

Recent Posts

Saturday 19 November 2011

Meireles vows to show Reds respect

Meireles vows to show Reds respect

Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles insists he will not celebrate if he scores against old club Liverpool in Sunday's eagerly-anticipated clash.

Meireles was a shock transfer deadline day signing, having reportedly handed in a last-minute transfer request, paving the way for Chelsea to secure his services with a £12million bid.
The Portuguese was the second big-name player to leave Anfield for Stamford Bridge over the last few months, following in the footsteps of Fernando Torres, who claimed he was leaving Liverpool as he was frustrated by their inability to win silverware.
And while Torres incurred the wrath of the Anfield faithful with his comments, Meireles has no intention of walking down the same path, even declaring he will not celebrate if he scores against Liverpool on Sunday.
"If I score [on Sunday] I will not celebrate out of respect to the Reds supporters," Meireles told The Sun.
"They were incredible towards me during my stay on Merseyside and I am also very grateful to Liverpool for giving me the chance to play in England.
"Mind you, that's all in the past. I had some great times at Liverpool but I am a professional, and my head is totally focused on Chelsea and beating them [Liverpool]."
Meireles enjoyed a rich vein of scoring form for the Reds in the first two months of 2011, netting five goals in six games, including the winner against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge back in February.
However, his goal spree counted for nothing as Liverpool failed to qualify for Europe, but Meireles is now looking forward to scoring regularly for Chelsea.
"I remember my goal against Chelsea - it was both beautiful and very important because we won.
"But finally we didn't reach Europe and that was a big disappointment.
"I want to score goals for Chelsea, although my main task here is to help my attacking team-mates.
"I'm trying, though. I'm always ready to shoot."
Meireles does concede playing under compatriot Andre Villas-Boas is slightly easier, considering he used to have difficulties comprehending Kenny Dalglish's strong accent, although he has no doubt the Scot is the perfect man to manage Liverpool.
"AVB [Villas-Boas] is Portuguese and Dalglish isn't. This is a little advantage for me because I understand better what is expected of me.
"Kenny was always very open in his dialogue. He's a Red 100% and you sensed he suffered everything on the bench that we suffered on the pitch.
"But Andre is very good as a psychologist. The battle for the Premier League is hard but to beat the Reds would show both Manchester City and Manchester United that we have a chance of winning the title.
"These three points are very important."
Meireles has made a bright start to his Stamford Bridge career, scoring one goal and laying on three assists in ten appearances.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More